WordPress Backup to Dropbox 1.3

04 Oct

Don’t have WordPress Backup to Dropbox yet? Check it out now at http://wpb2d.com!

Introducing better logging

Yep thats right, I have overhauled the logging of your backup to get a better insight into what is going on with the vast amount of server configurations, WordPress versions and PHP security settings that exist in the world wide web.

The first thing you will notice is the backup history, within the settings menu, no longer shows verbose information on the backup. Instead, it will now just display the date and time a backup completed. This is because the backup monitor has changed to a backup log and contains a much richer interface and a lot more information on what is happening during the backup.

Here is the new backup log

As you can see the new log now contains an approximation of how complete it is as well as a ist of files that have been uploaded in the log snapshot. The list of uploaded files will only show if one of more have been uploaded to Dropbox. So, bearing that in mind, if you run a backup immediately after your first you should only see your SQL dump files uploaded to Dropbox. Any errors or warnings that are encountered will now show up in this log.

Pro Tip: You can hover over the file name to see when it was last modified on the server.

Executing instant backups

Instant backups can be executed from this screen as per usual. Like scheduled backups, these also use the WordPress quasi cron system which means it could take some time for the backup to kick off. The new backup log will poll every 15 seconds and update the interface.

Please note: You don’t need to stay on this page to execute an instant backup! Just hit ‘Start Backup’, close your laptop and go for a coffee. Your backup will kick off when the next visitor hits your site.

Backup log persistency

You will be able to view the log for the last backup only. Once a new backup starts it will be cleared to make room for the new information.

Accuracy of the percent complete figure

To begin with… not so accurate because its set to 1,500 that is just over the file count of a vanilla WordPress installation. Once you complete your first backup it will be set to the file count of your WordPress installation thus making it become more accurate over time. However, its still only an estimation and should not be taken as gospel.

Whats next

Next thing I will tackle is replacing the PHP Dropbox API with an updated one that takes advantage of Dropbox’s new chunked upload feature. This will greatly reduce the memory footprint required to upload large files to Dropbox. Once I have the new API implemented I am planning to build a restore tool that will allow your to bring your blog back up with the click of a button! Exciting times as I endeavour to get the plugin working for more and more people.

Does the vanilla version of WordPress Backup to Dropbox work flawlessly for you?
Do you want to be able to store multiple zipped versions of your blog?
Or maybe you want to be able to receive an email when your backup completes?

If you answer yes to any of these questions you should consider purchasing a Premium Extension.
They are super easy to install right from the Premium Extension menu right under the backup log I have just introduced.
Payment is made using PayPal that makes it 100% secure and all extensions come with a 60 day 100% money back guarantee! So you have no reason not to give them a go!

1. David

October 14, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Please re-implement the sub folders for the destination of the backup ! It’s a pain for several websites and get organized ! Many thanks for this update too, really great features !!

2. Japh

October 5, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Great work, Mikey! I’ve been wanting more detailed logging for a while. I’m also looking forward to the restore tool once you’ve got chunking happening :)

Exciting times!

• Japh

October 5, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Actually, while I’m here, I have a question about the premium extension for Zip backups.

One of the beauties of backing up to DropBox, is that DropBox keeps revisions of your files, so you can roll back if you need to. Doesn’t the Zip backup extension kill this ‘feature’?

• Mikey

October 5, 2016 at 12:57 pm

The zip backup stores a new zip for each backup so you can roll back you blog in its entirety. So it doesn’t kill the feature, it implements it in a different way. Dropbox only keeps revisions for 30 days so zipping gets around this too.

• Japh

October 5, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Excellent! Good points, and great that it’s actually better :)
          Harder to see which specific files changed (i.e. I was thinking in terms of tracking down a malware infection or rolling back someone else’s change).

Perfect for backups though, other stuff is really the realm of version control anyway.

Thanks for your awesome work!

3. Mark

October 5, 2016 at 4:08 am

Great update. The backup monitor for me however is still showing stop backup but the log says there’s no backup in progress.

Any suggestions?

• Mikey

October 5, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Make sure wp-cron is working.

4. Patrick

October 5, 2016 at 3:50 am

Nice plugin… It’s is working for me, but I have to reauthorize DropBox each time I use. I am getting error msgs. Thank you for creating this.

• Mikey

October 5, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Hmm you should not need to Do this.

5. Brandon

October 5, 2016 at 2:16 am

Hi, I no longer have a Backup Now option. I see Backup Settings, Backup Log and Premium Extensions menu items. The Backup Now option disappeared between the previous version (open on one tab) and this version after the update.

(I do have a scheduled backup to that runs weekly, but I don’t think this should be affecting things. I’m running WordPress 3.4.2.)

• Mikey

October 5, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Backup Now is no in the Backup Log as mentioned in this blog post.

6. manoucho

October 5, 2016 at 12:41 am

Hi Michael

On my side the backup doesn’t work for long time already (it starts but never ends), I was hoping the log would help me but it stays empty!

I’ve been crying for help on your forum but for some reason you seem to ignore my message. I did purchase the 2 premium options, so I’m really disappointed.

If you can help me, I would be very grateful, the post is here http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-wordpress-backup-to-dropbox-backup-never-ends

Otherwise I would like to ask you how I can get reimbursed for my purchases, thank you.

• Mikey

October 5, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Sorry for the lack of reply. I have been focussed on getting 1.3 out!

I have replied to you thread.

7. Usman

October 4, 2016 at 8:34 pm

A real time sync option will also do wonders :-D

8. Usman

October 4, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Great. Keep up the good work. Can we change the update interval to 12 hours or 6 hours instead of daily? Since the plugin is only synchronizing the files, it should not become heavy on the server to allow more duration of sync?

9. Peter

October 4, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Fatal error: Unsupported operand types in C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-content\plugins\wordpress-backup-to-dropbox\Views\wp-backup-to-dropbox-options.php on line 210

on xampp on local win7 64-bit machine

• Mikey

October 4, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Wow… that was a quick update Peter!

Thanks for posting this issue. The old history is not compatible with the new and I have just committed a fix so others will not run into the same issue.

There are two things you can do to recover the plugin:
      1. Re-install the plugin
      2. Remove the ‘backup-to-dropbox-history’ option from the wp_options table

Sorry for letting that one slip by!

Cheers,